While carbohydrate is one of the essential things for the body, some of us are required to do a low-carb diet for health purposes such as for losing weight or diabetes. But the problem is low-carb diet is sometimes boring and less satisfying. In this article, we have listed low-carb dinner ideas that are flavorful and easy to make.
Moroccan Chicken Stew
If you wish for low-carb dinner ideas that offer a strong flavor, this chicken stew is the best choice. It is made of vegetables and warming spices. The recipe doesn’t consume your time. It takes around 55 minutes to prepare.
- A handful of flaked almonds
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- Ginger (thumb size), peeled and grated
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 smoked sweet paprika
- 2 red peppers, sliced
- 4 chicken thighs
- 1 lemon, cut into 6 slices
- A handful of green olives stoned
- 4 dried apricots or you can use pitted dates, chopped
- 250 ml gluten-free chicken stock
- A pinch of chili powder or you can chop red chili
- 150 g green beans, halved
- A handful of chopped fresh parsley
- A handful of chopped fresh coriander
- Toast the almond until turns to golden color. Make sure to not use high heat because you will easily burn it. Use low to medium heat. Set aside.
- Heat the ghee using the same pan, and then add onion. Cook it until softened. Next, add ginger, garlic, and spices.
- Add chicken thighs then cook until golden color and crisp. Flip the things to make sure all the parts are well-cooked.
- Add lemon slices, peppers, bone broth, stock, olives, dates/apricots, and chili. Simmer the mixture and cover with the lid for around 40 minutes.
- If the sauce is too watery, take off the lid and let it simmer. And if the sauce is too thick, you can add a few tablespoons of water.
- Before removing the chicken from the heat, add green beans in the last 4 minutes. Check the taste. Garnish it with parsley, coriander, and also toasted almonds.
- The chicken stew is ready to serve.
Baked Salmon And Leek
If you expect easy dinner ideas with low carbs, this salmon dish will be your best dinner. It is rich in omega-3 and most importantly, keto-friendly.
- 250 g leek, sliced
- 1 tablespoon dill, chopped
- 85 g mascarpone
- 2 salmon fillets, skinless
- 1/2 lemon, squeeze the juice
- 1/4 of grated lemon
- 2-3 teaspoon capers
- Spinach, to serve (you can skip it)
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C. Place 2 sheets of baking parchment on the work surface (make sure it is large enough to wrap the salmon fillets).
- Bring the leeks to a boil with 6 tablespoons of water. Cook it for around 5 minutes until the leeks are tender. Add mascarpone, some seasoning, and 1 tablespoon dill.
- Place the creamy leeks in the middle of the parchment, then put the salmon on top. Repeat the second fillet. Sprinkle lemon zest over the salmon and add lemon juice too. Add scaper and the remaining (1 teaspoon) dill.
- Wrap the salmon fillet and place it on the baking sheet.
- Bake the salmon for around 15 minutes (you can adjust based on your preference). Remove it from the oven and then tear open the parcel.
- Serve with lemon and wilted spinach.
Shrimp Scampi with Zucchini
This fresh and delicious shrimp scampi is still enjoyable even though you remove the pasta. The zucchini noodles put the shrimp to another level. The tomatoes bring sweetness and vibrant color, while the cheese will make the dish richer.
Typically shrimp scampi is buttery, but we use healthier versions like using olive oil.
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium shallot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tbsp white wine
- 2 tbsp unsalted chicken stock
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and also deveined
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 7/8 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 6 cups spiralized zucchini
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 tbsp pre-grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- Add the butter and 1 tbsp olive oil in a skillet. Heat it on medium-high heat until the butter melts. Add shallot then stir it until softened. Add garlic and keep stirring. Pour stock and wine and let it simmer until the liquid is reduced to half. Then, add shrimp, 1/2 tsp salt, and pepper. Cook the shrimp until halfway cooked. Next, transfer it to the plate and set it aside.
- Add tomatoes and 2 tbsp olive oil to the skillet and heat it on medium-high heat. Cook the tomatoes until softened, then add zucchini and toss it with 3/8 kosher salt. Add the shrimp to the skillet, and stir it constantly.
- Remove the shrimp from the heat, then add 2 tbsp Parmesan. Mix it until it is combined.
- Divide the mixture into 4 bowls and sprinkle it with parmesan and parsley.
- The shrimp is ready to enjoy.
Salad with Chicken
Dinner with salad? Why not?! This colorful salad is so flavorful with shredded chicken. Of course, you can modify the recipe you like such as turning this into one of the delicious low-carb dinner ideas for vegetarians.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 4 cups sliced green lettuce
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 cup cucumber, halved and sliced
- 1/2 cup red onion, sliced
- 1/3 cup pepperoncini, sliced
- 1/3 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tbsp toasted sunflower seeds
Mix lemon juice, garlic, oil, oregano, salt, sugar, and pepper. Add spinach, lettuce, tomatoes, chicken, cucumber, pepperoncini, and onion. Sprinkle it with sunflower seeds and feta cheese. Enjoy!
Garlicky Shrimp and Broccoli
Shrimp and broccoli are the perfect combo. It is easy to cook and doesn’t take so much time. If you have a busy weeknight, this healthy shrimp and broccoli is your best choice. You can enjoy the dish as it is or with whole grains.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, sliced and divided
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper, divided
- 1 pound shrimp
- 2 tsp lemon juice (provide more to taste)
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a pot on a medium heat. Add half of the garlic and cook it until brown. Add broccoli with 1/4 tsp salt and pepper. Cover the pot but stir it once or twice. Add 1 tbsp of water if it is too dry. Cook until the vegetables are tender and then transfer them to a bowl.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pot with medium-high heat. Add the remaining garlic and cook it until brown, then add shrimp and 1/4 tsp salt and pepper. Stir the shrimp until it is cooked through. Add the broccoli to the pot and add lemon juice. Stir it.
- Remove the shrimp from the heat and enjoy.
Baked Ratatouille and Goat Cheese
Yes! It is ratatouille you watched in a movie, but it is upgraded with cheese. It will be a perfect summer dish!
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 aubergines, diced
- 2 red peppers, diced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 200 g goat’s cheese
- 500 ml passata
- 4 courgettes, sliced
For the cheese sauce
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 400 ml milk
- 50 g plain flour
- 80 g parmesan, grated
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil then add garlic and onion. Fry it until brown. Add red pepper and aubergine. Sizzle for 4 minutes. You can add more oil if it is too dry. Stir the vegetables and then add soy sauce and vinegar. Pour the passata and simmer it for 5 minutes.
- Remove the vegetables from the heat and set aside. You can make it ahead and store it in the fridge for a maximum of two days.
- For the cheese sauce, heat the milk using a saucepan.
- In a separate pan, don’t forget to melt the butter and then add flour. Stir the mixture until it turns into a paste. Whisk it in the hot milk and then simmer it for 3 minutes. Keep stirring until the sauce is thickening, then add parmesan.
- Set the ratatouille in the baking dish and top it with cheese sauce. Add goat’s cheese and also arrange the courgette slices at the top.
- Preheat the oven temperature to 220 degrees C. Brush the remaining olive oil on the courgette slices and add salt. Bake it for around 30 minutes until the courgettes are well-cooked.
- Remove from the oven and let it sit for around 20 minutes before enjoying it.
Why Is It Not Advised To Completely Cut Out Carbs?
For some reason, a low-carb diet is good but when you completely cut carbs from your diet you will put yourself at higher risk of nutrient deficiencies. You need to replace those nutrients with other sources.
Is 1 Meal A day Healthy?
According to WebMD, eating one meal a day is not dangerous for some people, except for some discomforts and the feeling of hungry. However, there are some risks to be paid attention to people with diabetes and cardiovascular disease. Eating once a day can increase the cholesterol level and blood pressure.
That is all our low-carb dinner ideas for diabetics and weight loss. Which one is your favorite?