There are two ways to enhance the flavor. One is using garlic, and the second is using sausages. But let’s talk about sausages today. This item is very versatile and you can cook with anything. Our Italian sausage recipes are delicious and easy to make. Check them out here!
Why Should Be A Ground Sausage?
ground sausage is something that is needed in various recipes, from calzones, pizza, meatballs, finger foods, pasta, and so on. It is not that difficult to make one. Moreover, it tastes a hundred times better than the store-bought version. You have full control over what can you use in your sausage. And of course, the quality is up to you.
Most store-bought sausage has corn syrup and maybe some cryptic ingredients, meaning that it can be anything that can be unhealthy.
Is It Necessary To Use Ground Pork?
You can use ground pork or grind your meat by yourself. Just buy a good quality ground pork and then add the seasonings more simply. But if you like to have full control of the meat such as the muscle-to-fat ratio, grinding your own is better.
What Are Other Meat I Can Use For Sausages?
There are many. You can use lamb, chicken, turkey, and many more! Whatever meat you like.
How Can I Store The Sausage?
You can freeze the sausage. Just place it in an airtight package. 1/4 pound or 1/2 pound package type. It is up to you.
Classic Italian Sausages Recipe
It is a classic Italian sausage recipe that is very easy to make. Later, you can turn the sausage into certain dishes like combining it with pasta or making it into soup.
- 1 pound pork butt (You can use pre-packaged ground pork, or substitute it with ground turkey, chicken, or meat)
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp red wine
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp black peppercorns (toast it first until fragrant)
- 1 tsp cracked fennel seeds (toast it until fragrant)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (you can skip it if you want a lighter flavor)
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried ground sage
- Mix the ground meat with other ingredients. You can use your hand or stand mixer to mix them.
- Next, wrap the mixture and put it in the fridge for 6 hours (at least). For the best flavor, you can let it sit there overnight.
- Next, you can shape the sausage into balls and cook it.
- You can store the sausage in the fridge for 3 days. Or, wrap it and place it in the freezer and it will last for 3 months.
Italian Sausage Recipes For Dinner
Classic Italian Meatballs
A perfect meatball should be tender, nicely round, rich in flavor, and held together when it is cooked. This recipe is perfect for you who enjoy classic Italian meatballs. Surely you will love it.
- 1 c. bread crumbs
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 c. whole milk
- 1/2 lb. ground pork
- 1/2 lb, Italian sausage (remove the casings)
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- Ground black pepper
- Kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 c. parsley, chopped
- 1 c. grated Parmesan (provide more for serving)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin oil
- 32-oz marinara sauce
- Mix the bread crumbs and milk in a small bowl. Then let it sit for 15 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine sausage, pork, beef, garlic, and onion. Add pepper and salt. Gently mix it with your hand. Then add eggs, parmesan, and parsley. Then, make balls.
- Heat oil in your skillet over medium-high heat. Sear the meatballs until developing they crust. Transfer it to a container, bowl, or plate.
- Still using the same skillet, simmer the sauce and then add the meatballs to the skillet. Cover it and then cook the meatballs.
- Add parsley and parmesan before serving.
Sweet Italian Sausage Recipe
This is another easy Italian sausage that you should try. You can adjust the spices as you like or substitute the meat. An advice you can follow is to coat the skillet with oil if you want to make the turkey sausage. It is because the turkey has little fat which makes the sausage stick to the skillet.
- 3-pound ground pork
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 1/4 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp cracked black pepper
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 3/4 tsp ground fennel seed
- 1/4 tsp brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp dried thyme
- Mix pork with red wine vinegar. Add parsley, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, basil, paprika, black pepper, fennel seed, red pepper flakes, oregano, brown sugar, and also thyme. Knead the mixture until all the spices are distributed evenly.
- Next, divide the sausage into three parts and make a log. Wrap it with plastic wrap and then put it in the zip-top bag. Place the sausage in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours.
- When it is ready, cut the sausage on the cutting board into patties. Then remove the plastic.
- Next, heat the skillet and cook the sausage patties until they are no longer pink in the center.
This recipe brings a thicker sauce with a lighter color. You don’t have to add stock because the sauce is made to be thicker. Later you can store your sausage in the fridge. It will last for 4 days.
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 lb. ground pork (you can use Italian sausage and then remove the casings)
- 2 c. whole milk
- Ground black pepper
- Kosher salt
- Biscuits (for serving)
- Cook the Sausage in the skillet. Use medium heat and cook until there is no pink color. It takes around 8-10 minutes.
- Add flour to the skillet and then cook for around 1 minute. Then pour the milk and brings it to a boil. Reduce the heat. keep stirring and simmer until the sauce is thicker. Don’t forget to season the sauce with pepper and salt as well as a pinch of cayenne.
- Remove the sauce from the heat. Serve the sausage and sauce with biscuits.
Italian Sausage Recipes With Pasta
This creamy Italian sausage pasta recipe is every family’s favorite. It has a savory flavor with a creamy texture which you can make in just 20 minutes. Check the recipe!
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion (minced)
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5-ounce baby spinach
- 2-cup heavy cream
- Parmesan cheese (1 cup shredded cheese)
- First, cook the penne pasta according to the instructions in the package. Don’t forget to add salt.
- While cooking the pasta, heat the olive oil and then cook the Italian sausage along with red pepper flakes, onion, garlic, and salt. Cook the sausage until there is no pink color.
- You can drain the excess fat if you want, and then return the meat mixture to the pan.
- Reduce the heat to low. After that, add cream and bring the mixture to a simmer. Next, add spinach.
- Cook until the spinach wilted.
- Add the parmesan cheese and stir it until melted.
- Serve it while it is hot.
It is toasty on the outside and soft on the inside. You can use the stale bread too. For the sausage, you can make some modifications such as using pork fennel, sweet Italian sausage, hot Italian sausage, or chicken apple.
- 2 baguettes (1 large boule)
- 6 tablespoon butter (provide more for baking dish)
- 4 stalks of celery, sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped sage
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoon thyme
- 2 teaspoons chopped rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 lb. sausage (don’t forget to remove the casings)
- 1 1/2 c. chicken broth (use the low sodium)
- 1/2 c. dried cranberries
- Slice the bread into cubes and then dry it out overnight. You can also bake it at a 200 degrees temperature for 20 minutes.
- Set the oven to 350 degrees and preheat it. Next, apply butter to the baking dish.
- Melt the butter on the skillet then add celery and onion. Cook until fragrant. Next, add thyme, garlic, sage, and rosemary. Cook it for 1 minute. Add pepper and salt. Add 3 tbsp butter and also parsley. Remove the heat and then toss it with the bread using a bowl.
- Cook the sausage on the same skillet.
- Once it is cooked, transfer it to the bread mixture with broth and sausage. Then, transfer it to the baking dish. Before baking it, cover the dish with foil. Bake it for around 45 minutes. Then remove the foil. Bake it again until you see the bread change to golden color. Garnish it with parsley and it is ready to serve.
What goes well with Italian sausages?
Italian sausages are very versatile. You can combine it with nearly everything such as pasta or making it into a soup. Get creative with your cooking.
What is Italian sausage made of?
It is made of ground pork that is seasoned with fennel seeds and garlic. The Italian sausages come in two styles; hot and sweet. The hot one is seasoned with red pepper while the sweet one has no pepper.
How do Italians eat sausage?
Italians eat sausages in many ways from the boil and roast to broil it. For the seasonings, it comes in many varieties from hot Calabria sausages to Sud Tyrol.
Usually, the boiled sausages are served with lentils that are sauteed with other ingredients. It is served on new year Eve and Christmas.
What gives Italian sausage a distinctive flavor?
What makes Italian sausages so distinctive is the fennel. It can be cracked fennel and also ground fennel.
Check also our guide on making pasta here.