Apple pies always become the first thing to enjoy with family. It is delicious, and of course, it warms the house. We all love grandma old fashioned apple pie recipe because it brings memory aside from its delicious taste. Yes! Today we want to show you the best traditional apple pie recipe which is very easy. Even for beginners! It is our grandma’s recipe and it is always served in many important gatherings such as family dinners and also holidays. The pie is perfect when it is added with whipped cream or ice cream. You can also add cheddar cheese if you like.
Traditional Apple Pie Recipe
Before we jump to our grandma old fashioned apple pie recipe, understand some basic ingredients below:
- Apples – The best ones to use are Granny Smith apples. Butter and flour – It is used for filling. Here, you will use all-purpose flour that is cooked with butter until it is making a paste.
- Sugar – The secret of a great apple pie is the combination of brown and white sugar. It creates a perfect flavor.
- Pie crust – You can buy the pie crust, or simply make your own. We will break it down later.
What Kind Of Apple Should I Use To Make A Pie?
We suggest you to use Granny Smith apples. This type has excellent firmness. It can hold its shape during cooking. Besides, its flavor blends well with the sweetness of sugar.
Steps To Make An Apple Pie
Creating an old-fashioned apple pie is easy. It just requires you to do some steps. Here is how to make it:
- Creating the filling – It is made of flour and butter that is cooked with water and sugar. Bring the ingredients to a boil and then remove them from the heat once it is making a paste.
- Assembling the pie – Prepare the crust on a pie plate and then add the sliced apples on the bottom. Create a lattice using the top crust. After that, pour the mixture (butter and sugar) over the crust.
- Baking the pie – Make sure to preheat the oven and bake the apple pie until the apples are soft, also the crust looks golden brown.
For the first 15 minutes, bake the apple pie at 425 degrees F. After that, reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F and bake it for 35-45 minutes.
How To Store An Apple Pie?
An apple pie can last around 2 days when you store it a room temperature by covering it tightly with aluminum foil. If you store it in the refrigerator it can last up to four days.
Remember that not all apple pies can be stored a room temperature. Yes, you can store it a room temperature if it is a regular apple pie that just contains sugar. But if the pie is made with cream, custard, or the filling has eggs then it needs to be refrigerated. Additionally, an apple pie with Splenda should be refrigerated right away.
Place the pie in the container and store it in the refrigerator. If you want to put the pie in the freezer, let it cool first and then wrap the pie tightly in two layers of plastic wrap and then wrap it again with aluminum foil. Store the pie in the container and make sure it is an airtight container. You can use a zip-top bag. It will make the pie last longer, up to 3 months.
Grandma Old Fashioned Apple Pie Recipe
You will need the following ingredients to make an apple pie:
- Granny Smith apples (we used 8 apples, but you can adjust it)
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- (9 inches) a double-crust pie pastry
- Peel and then slice the apple
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F
- Prepare the saucepan and then melt the butter on medium heat. Stir the butter and then add flour to make a paste. Stir until you smell fragrance. It only takes around 1-2 minutes. Next, add water and sugar. Let it boil and then simmer for around 3 minutes.
- Start assembling the pie base by pressing the pastry into the bottom and up. Let the remaining pastry overhang, about 1/2 inch. Next, cut the pastry into 8 strips.
- Place the apples until forming a mound. Then, lay four pastry strips vertically and evenly over the apples. Use the longer strips for the center and the shorter ones at the center.
- Create a lattice crust.
- Fold and trim the excess dough and then pinch it to secure the pie filling.
- Pour the mixture (sugar-butter mix) slowly. Make sure the mixture seeps over the apples.
- Bake the pie in the oven for 15 minutes in the preheated oven. After that, reduce its temperature to 350 degrees F and bake for around 25-45 minutes or until the apples are soft.
Should I Cook The Apples First Before Making A Pie?
It is your preference whether you want to use raw apples or precooked ones. But we recommend you use the precooked apples because it will be easier to control the filling consistency and also how soft the apples are. Besides, it will avoid you to get a watery and undercooked filling. Also, it is a great idea to avoid the gap between the top crust and filling once the pie is cooked.
If you want to make an apple pie with precooked apples, we have a delicious apple-filling recipe that you can try.
- Apple pie filling ingredients:
- 8-9 apples
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter (divided)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- Zest from 1 lemon
- First, peel the apples and then cut out the core. Cut the apples into some slices and make sure they are cut in the same size.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter and then add the apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, granulated sugar, allspice, nutmeg, salt, lemon juice, and also lemon zest. Stir the mixture for about 15 minutes or until the apples softened, but make sure it doesn’t lose its shape.
- Sprinkle the cornstarch. You can add more cornstarch if it is necessary. It depends on the juices released from the apples. Let it simmer for around 3-5 minutes. If you see the juice is thickening, set it aside and let it cool a room temperature.
How To Make Pie Crust?
Creating a pie crust can be intimidating. Don’t worry, we have got you a recipe. You can make a perfect pie crust with the following ingredients:
- Flour – You can use all-purpose flour
- Salt – It is used to enhance the flavor and keep the pie tender and moist.
- Butter – It adds flavor and makes a flaky finished pie.
- Water – It acts as the binding agent and it is important for the flakiness of the crust.
So, how to make a pie crust flaky? The key here is on the butter. It works by coating the flour so it won’t absorb the liquid. Besides, the butter will create gluten which results a dense and chewy crust.
When the butter melts during baking, it will leave air in the pockets of the dough. Then, as it expands, it will create layers and a flaky crust. Check the composition of the ingredients:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup ice water
- Mix the salt and flour into a large bowl and then add butter. Mix the ingredients well.
- Add the water but do it little by little until it forms a dough. You probably need less than 1/4 cup of water. Make a disc from the dough and then wrap it with plastic wrap. Put it in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
- Prepare the floured working surface and then roll out the dough using the rolling pin.
- Next place the dough on the pie plate and follow the recipe.
What Is The Secret Of A Good Apple Pie?
What makes a good pie? A good pie has a golden brown crust and it should be flaky and tender. Besides, the filling is firm, sufficiently cooked, and smooth. The crust and the flavor of the apples should dominate the pie. The pie should not be too sweet or sour. Even the spices should not dominate the pie.
What Is The Best Thickener for An Apple Pie?
When it comes to thickener, cornstarch is on our top list. Adjust the right amount of cornstarch to reach the right thickness. Another alternative to cornstarch is all-purpose flour. However, all-purpose flour is not like cornstarch. You need to add more flour to reach the desired thickness. And the last one is tapioca. It is from the cassava plant and is used as a thickening agent. However, if you add excessive tapioca, it will give you a sticky texture. So, be careful.
How To Make Apples In Apple Pie Stay Crispy?
Make sure to not cut or slice the apples too thin. Make it bigger. Besides, if you like precooked apples for a pie when preparing the filling, don’t cook the apple too long so it will not be overcooked when you bake it.
That’s all our easy grandma old-fashioned apple pie recipe. Check also our easy pasta recipe here.